Surf City— Authorities say an unstable mixture of water and chlorine caused an explosion inside a southern New Jersey home, injuring the homeowner and a neighbour who came to his aid.
The Asbury Park Press reports 62-year-old Russell Rocca of Surf City was diluting chlorine with water to be used in his hot tub when the mixture became unstable and exploded.
Rocca’s neighbour, 43-year-old John Herrmann, heard the blast and tried to enter Rocca’s home. But the intense chemical odor caused Hermann to become light-headed and unable to help his neighbour.
Rocca was treated for burns to the face and difficulty breathing, while Herrmann was treated for minor injuries.